New songs for August 24th 2026
here they are:
"If I Let You" by The Womack Sisters: Their first single, the dramatic yet soulful "Chauffeur," still seems like it IS a new song for adult alt radio, so to have another song come on this suddenly seems kind of soon, but word spread fast about The Womack Sisters! After all, they are related to soul legends like Sam Cooke and Bobby Womack! They carry both of their flames into the 21st century quite well! "If I Let You" goes for a more fun, slinky, seductive vibe than their previous single did, almost mixing bossa nova jazz with the classic '60s and '70s soul they were raised on! It's like The Supremes meets Sergio Mendes! Truly a unique and captivating sound. The question implied in the song's title is basically, "If I let you love me, will you love me?" Perfect song to get the flames of romance burning brightly!
"Marianne" by Fontaines D.C.: Fontaines D.C. have become known for being one of the few "guitar bands" keeping rock alive into the 2020's. With their latest song, "Marianne," Fontaines D.C. have turned away from guitar to make a dark synth-pop ballad. The song's spooky vibes match up well with its lyrics, too, which are about seeking shelter from the addictions of modern life - both the drug kind and the technological kind. With "Starburster," Fontaines D.C. seemed like they were on the edge of a nervous breakdown. "Marianne" IS the nervous breakdown!
"Tonight" by Social Distortion: Bet you thought I was never gonna review these guys, eh?! Well, now I am! Often associated with the '90s punk movement, Social Distortion have a rootsy-er flavor than the more straight-ahead punk-pop influences of Green Day, The Offspring, or blink-182. Social D seem like they'd be more likely to list Tom Petty or Neil Young as an influence than they would be The Sex Pistols or The Ramones (though I'd say they're really a blend of both sounds). On "Tonight," Social D leans fully into that Petty-influenced sound with the jaded, ragged, world-weary quality of something vaguely Nirvana-ish. Beneath the song's upbeat country-punk sound, Mike Ness is really yearning for a relationship that fell apart to be smoother again.
Comments
Post a Comment